It always seems like there is just not enough time i the day to get all the reading done that I would like to. There are literally stacks of books in my room waiting to be read. There are quite a few series that I have been wanting to start but just haven’t yet. A series, I find is a much larger commitment than picking up a single book or even a trilogy. With a series, unless you dislike it, you will find yourself reading from days to weeks depending on how long the books are and how many there are. One of my favorite series currently takes me over two weeks to get through and the author is still writing more! So I approach a series in a bit different manner than I approach other reading. There are quite a few that I am wanting to get into but haven’t yet. Here are a few:
1. The Dark Tower series by Stephen King – Stephen King writing fantasy! I love the way the man handles the written word even if I don’t always like his plot lines. The idea of a fantasy series written by him really seems very interesting to me. The only reason I haven’t gotten to this one yet is because I have been told I need to read quite a few books that I haven’t read yet like The Stand and It before I dive into this series. Once I finally get through these, I think I’ll pick this series up fairly quickly.
2. The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan – A friend of mine recommended these to me and I have tried to get into them but every time I have tried the first book, I really haven’t enjoyed it. I don’t think I’ve given it enough of a chance though. I’ve really only read about 20 pages into it and with a series this long, that is not nearly enough to paint an accurate picture of this author. With the end of the series just being published, I really need to get to this one!
3. The Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin – I have heard so much about this series and with all the buzz around the TV show that I can’t watch because I don’t get the channel, I have been very intrigued to get started on this series. I hear that this author really loves killing of his characters though so I don’t know how well we will get along….
4. The Newford Series by Charles de Lint – I have been wanting to start this after reading a book of his short stories. His writing can be so imaginative however I found that he’s a bit hit and miss. Some of his stuff has been lovely while other things have not really appealed to me. I hear that this is some of his best stuff and I really want to get around to it.
5. The Doctor Who books by various authors – I would call these books less of a series and more sanctioned fan-fiction but none the less, I’ve read one book out-of-order and would love to go back and read all the ones starting with the 9th doctor through the current material. Then I would like to go back and read the older stuff. First though, I need to get through the classic Doctor Who that’s now available on Netflix 🙂
6. The Safehold Series by David Weber – A friend of mine has recommended these to me and I have actually purchased the first couple of books in the series with the full intent of reading them. However, I don’t think I’m going to get to them until this summer because frankly these books are huge and going to be a rather long time commitment but since this is the same friend who told me to read Terry Goodkind, I’m fairly certain that I’ll be a bit obsessed with these.
8. The Maze Runner series by James Dashner – I’ve been waiting to pick these up for a while and finally got my hands on the first book. It’s currently sitting in my very large to be read pile. I think the plot line is very interesting and can’t wait to get into these!
9. The Foundation books by Isaac Asimov – I know that these are classics, I just have never gotten around to them. I know that I really need to but just haven’t gotten there yet. I’m sure I will though.
10. The Homecoming series by Orson Scott Card – I really haven’t read these because they feel like the last series by Card that I’m going to love and haven’t read yet. I’ve read almost everything else by him except for the Alvin Maker series but honestly I can’t stand any short story I’ve read from that series. I gobble up anything new he puts out but don’t want to feel like I’ve exhausted this author yet.