10 settings I would like to see more of
1. The desert – There are so many things that can be done and hardships to face. I wish there was less forest setting and more desert settings. Growing up in the desert, to me I always have a better connection with the scenery when they are set here.
2. Utopian societies – I know dystopia is all the rage but I would love to see more of the kid fighting to get back to his perfect world than the kids fighting to escape their horrible situations. Or even adult Utopia. Please??
3. Suburbia – Please someone for the love of all things interesting, for once set a book in the world where most of us live. I’d love to see an action scene where someone is getting chased through Target or Walmart or trying to escape the cops in a cookie cutter planned community. Think of the challenges they might face.
4. Turn of the century – I want more steampunk. I want good steampunk. Even – dare I say it – American steampunk. There I said it 🙂
5. Made up worlds – I need more science fiction. Good science fiction that ISN’T set on earth. Even fantasy not set on earth. Please?
Okay… the other half of this list are things I NEVER want to see again. Seriously.
1. Boarding school/ Prep School – Please stop. Just stop. It’s lame and overdone.
2. New York City – Okay, I can’t say that I NEVER want to see books set here again, just a whole lot less of them…
3. Dystopias – Yep. As much as I like them, I can’t seem to find a book lately that isn’t dystopian. Write something else.
4. The Beach – Ugh. Yes, it’s pretty but…
5. The seedy bar – I don’t think this even needs explaining.
What do you want to see more/less of?