Book: The Thirteen Hallows
Authors: Michael Scott and Colette Freedman
Recommend: It was well written but there were quite a few negatives. You need a strong stomach for this one.
I thought I was picking up some fairly traditional fantasy. However, this was more modern crime drama/thriller loosely along the lines of the Da Vinci Code combined with an episode of Castle. I wasn’t expecting suspected serial killers with a dash of fantasy. So this one wasn’t exactly my cup of tea.
The big positive for this book was the quality of the writing. One of the best written collaborations I have read in quite some time. The two authors meshed together seamlessly. It made the book very readable. These two author enhance each other instead of bringing each other down.
However, I have a list of reasons that this book might not be for you.
- Extremely gory. Necessary for the storyline but very graphic.
- Fantasy based on the life of Jesus that is not based in fact. (Jesus in Britain – where is that in the Bible?)
- Disturbing sexual content.
- Reads like a crime drama.
- Rushed ending so the authors can string us along with a second book.
This is definitely something to seriously think about before picking up.